Thursday 18 October 2012

Run Fat Boy Run!

I was disappointed to find out that my daughter's boyfriend, who is coming to watch her run the Birmingham Half marathon on Sunday, was not going to prepare a banner with "Run Fat Boy Run!" written on it, in order to support my own running efforts. I will be looking for any support and encouragement on the way on Sunday and I think the banner and expressed sentiments would have spurred me on to even greater glory.

The race is now looming fast, too fast, and I'm scouring the weather forecasts for the weekend weather.... currently it seems it's going to be fine and with little wind on Saturday, but rain with an easterly wind on Sunday. In fact, I think the wind speed is expected to be something like 8mph, which will be fine going out, but on the return half this poses an interesting question. I currently run at approximately 6-6.5 mph (on a good day).... so does this mean that I'm actually going to be blown backwards and never finish?

I don't think so. And the reason why goes something like this. Some speedy sports cars can reach 0-60 in first gear. Land Rovers have a special gear, below first gear, which enables them to go at walking pace, but have a high torque ratio. I think my own personal gearing is fashioned after the Land Rover, as I certainly don't go quickly, but I can pull my weight at around walking pace. So going into a head wind should be no problem.

So, in a few day's time, I will hopefully have finished my first half marathon: if I do complete it, it will have been a challenge. And for me a significant one... however, as always, the things I find challenging are usually put into perspective by the things other people face and do. I've just started reading "Eat and Run" by Scott Jurek, whose idea of fun seems to have been running for 135 miles in the desert at extreme temperatures, on a diet of fruit and veg. That's a challenge (and not one for me just yet!), and as its largely self inflicted, my empathy levels remain low! But what about those who face challenges on a daily basis which they did not choose? Like friends of mine who parent a severely disabled child, or others who are going through divorce, or others facing difficult times at work.... each of these are challenging situations and at times require incredible strength, courage and determination to keep going... I know I've recieved loads of support from others in difficult times, so for these people, I hope I can wave my own "Run Fat Boy Run" banner in encouragement, even if I am standing on the sidelines....

No comments:

Post a Comment