Friday 21 December 2012

My Review of 2012 (Part 2)....

......... well as for the things I've been learning about running this year? They are many and varied! 

With regard to running, I've experienced what it is like to run in a race: the Birmingham Half was fantastic and for a few months I enjoyed running with Parkrun! I've also been introduced to interval training and hill reps by my club, and have learnt a little about running at different paces. I've bought an app for my phone (Runtastic - it's great) and been introduced to the wonders of running stats, including pace, speed, and gradients, and have debated with myself about the benefits of running with/without music (I'm for music at the moment!). I've also learnt about "age grading" results and discovered my "running handicap" from Run Britain (the handicap wasn't me, it was in fact something like 23!). I've learnt what it's like to run in pretty warm weather (in Spain) and pretty cold weather (Brum), and have decided I don't like extremes of either! I've also experienced the joys of running in the dark, in the rain and when it's windy. I prefer it when it's sunny, dry, and still. I've realised I need to take in water when on a long run as well as listening to my body when it needs to rest. I've joined a running club....... and at times, I've actually even enjoyed running, as well as its positive effects!
Fast relief from rheumatic pain, muscular aches & strains.Deep Heat Heat Spray is a pain relieving, warming, spray to be used on the skin.
I've also started to learn about other practical stuff related to running: the gear! The importance of good running shoes, particularly as they relate to your running gait (I've learnt I have a fairly neutral gait), size and weight. The benefit of wearing tights, and what to wear above/beneath them! The dangers of wearing cotton tops, the accompanying damage to nipples, and the cure. Vaseline! I've also remembered the correct protocol for applying deep heat, and the result when you apply it BEFORE going for a wee. In addition, for the first time in my life I've pulled a calf muscle, resulting in more learning about recovery, sports injuries clinics and sports massages! So now, I feel a bit like "All the gear, a little bit more of an idea!"

But looking back over the year, I've been surprised at some of the other things I've been learning about. Things like the qualities of commitment, perseverance, guts and hard work: qualities needed to even get out there and run, particularly when you don't feel like it. The need for support and encouragement: the way that loads of people have encouraged me in small and big ways and how that has led me to try to encourage others. The way I've been inspired by ordinary people rising to their own challenges, and the generosity of spirit of so many runners, running the Birmingham Half for other people or charities. I've learnt to have patience when injured, so as not to rush back to running too soon: and the importance of planning and preparation. And perhaps the biggest thing, is about recognising my own limitations, my limits, and being content with that, but at the same time looking at new challenges and targets to motivate me to improve.... 

Finally, I've begun to blog. The tag line for the blog is "'cos blogging is easier than jogging".... and whilst I still think that's true, I'm not so sure I'm any better at blogging than I am at jogging. I guess for both I've got a long way to go...... roll on 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment