Saturday 19 January 2013

Winter Fail!

Just reviewed how I've been doing with my training schedule since the start of January.... no surprises, as I knew I'd been chickening out of running at night in this cold snap we're having... ran 3 times in first week, 2 times second week and only once this week.......... :-(. Not good, as really should be ramping it up a bit as I have my first race in a month's time, and then two in March, both longer runs. Need to get that motivation going again!

Well partly as a result of the above, I hit some more "firsts" for me today. I was determined to do something, so went to the gym.... club running was off due to the snow. So my first "first" was running in the snow. Basically, the gym is only just down the road and it would have been more effort to get the car out, and it was too dangerous to cycle, so I decided to run there, despite the conditions. And actually it wasn't too bad, so long as I kept to the more compact snow... it was cold but bearable, not slippy and it was only for a few minutes anyway.

The second "first" was running on a treadmill! Now I've been going to gyms for the past 20-25 years and have NEVER gone on a treadmill. I've always thought it would be boring, and well, it's just never appealed. Anyway I had to try it today, as I really have not done any running of note for a couple of weeks. So, my experience of it? Thought it was very different from road running, as once you've set the pace, you have to keep it at that pace. There were times when I was either virtually falling off the end as I was going too slowly, or nestling up to the bar at the front, as I was going too quickly! Also at times, I was quite unnerved, as if I tried looking around me, I found myself wondering off line and almost ending on the floor in a heap...... its actually quite dangerous! However, so long as I kept a steady speed and looked ahead, it seemed fine. Very different from road running though. And I had a weird feeling coming off the machine, as my legs just wanted to keep on going, bit like coming off a boat onto dry land or something. Very strange.

But it has given me a bit of a boost to try to get into training again properly, which I must do. At least I know I can do some running if the weather is rubbish. I am hoping though, that the weather improves, or at least that the pavements get better over the next week. I want to run the 50 bus route (my local bus route) on Friday (my 50th birthday) and I need the pavements to be non-slippy by then! Then I will have a choice; either to run it one way to town (7 miles), one way and then return to home (about 11 miles) or the full return journey (14 miles). Will see what the weather's like and how brave I feel!! Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment