Sunday 10 February 2013

2013 Challenge Series: 50 Bus Route and Winslow Lions 10k

I have finally started my 2013 Challenge Series! Having postponed the run along the 50 bus route on my birthday due to the snow, I decided to give it a whirl this weekend. Just to say, the ONLY reason for running this route is because of the significance of the number 50 in relation to my birthday. There is absolutely nothing else remotely enticing about the route: it starts at not a particularly picturesque part of Brum, goes through suburban lands, and ends up just outside the Bull Ring. It's about 7 miles (14 miles return!) of not very pretty urban landscape: let's just say there are much nicer places to run in Brum. My wife thought I was nuts doing this. All I can say is that it seemed like a good idea at the time, but I'm not going to be running it again in a hurry! It's also hilly/undulating. I've yet to work out an official definition of when something is "hilly" or simply "undulating", but this was certainly not flat. 

50 terminus, Druids Heath
So, I started off running in freezing temperatures, after it had just started snowing. The first half of the run was not a lot of fun: very cold, ugly running and snow blowing into my face. I started approximately half way along the route (near home), and decided to run out of Birmingham to start with: I thought by the time I'd run the 10 or so miles into town and then out again, I  might give in and not do the rest. This way, I had to run back home, so would complete the full 14+ miles.

I also decided to take it slightly easier than when I'd run recently over shorter distances, as I wasn't sure how well I'd hold up over this distance. In the end it was fine, and I probably could have looked at starting off at a quicker pace.

50 terminus, City Centre
Initially, I headed out of Brum, and ended up at the 50 terminus in Druids Heath. The weather was really adding to the scenery (not in a good way), but at least by the time I had got to this point, it had stopped snowing. So I had a brief stop for a couple of photos (for proof I'd done it!) and then started the run back into town. This was fine, as apart from the first three miles or so, it was mainly down hill into the city centre. The weather had also eased, so although it was grey and drizzly, it did in fact warm up, so that by the time I returned home, my hands were beginning to thaw out a bit.

The going back home bit was harder work as it was basically uphill, and by the time I'd got into the city centre, I'd already done approximately 10 miles. So I knew I was never going to be quick, but I was pleasantly surprised that I completed it in approximately 2:20, with the half marathon time about the same as my Birmingham Half time: so, not too bad, but room for improvement! 

Anyway, moving on to my first "official" race: The Winslow Lions 10k. I certainly hope the scenery will be better, as it should be, being in the middle of Buckinghamshire. It's only a couple of weeks away, and I'm really looking forward to the challenge of trying to run it under 55 mins, which is one of my targets for the year. I'll be running it with some of the staff and volunteers from NYAS in Buckinghamshire, who are fantastic and who do an amazing job for children in Care, and it will be great to see them and to see how much much money we can raise to support NYAS' work! This is after all why I'm running these races, so please take a look at the link, and if you feel able to join me in supporting the  work of this charity, please give generously. It would be a huge encouragement! 


No comments:

Post a Comment