Monday 28 October 2013

Next stop...... New York

Well, with less than one week to go to the New York Marathon, people have been asking me if I'm well prepared, how I'm feeling, what sort of time I'm aiming for, if I'm mad, how is training going, and a number of other questions about next weekend. The truth is, I have mixed emotions, that is when I'm not thinking this is all a dream/nightmare. Sometimes I have to remind myself that this is real, I did sign on the dotted line, and I am, in a few days time, going to fly across the pond to take part in one of the major marathon's in the running calendar.

My first emotion is one of excitement! I've recently had all the flight and race information through from Sports Tours International, and it just looks amazing, the whole event. I've also been looking at the ING New York City Marathon website, and am gobsmacked at the organisation that's gone into this: it really is an amazing weekend, not just race! The website is incredibly helpful and inspiring, with some great pictures and a description of the course as it runs through New York's 5 boroughs. There is also a fantastic video of the course, which is really helpful, if not a little daunting. And having never been to The Big A, I am looking forward to spending just a little bit of time walking
around, soaking up the atmosphere. And this is perhaps the most exciting part for me: having just taken part in the Great Brum Run, with 15,000-20,000 runners, I can only imagine the atmosphere, support and crazyness of running through New York with 55,000 others in front of those crowds. Unbelievable.

However, I also have other emotions, which oscillate between apprehension and terror. In my lower moments over recent days, as the race has become more of a reality and not just some "good idea" I had  few months ago, I've had some doubts about my ability to run this distance: this was particularly the case after running this Saturday, as I really struggled with my longer run. Am I going to be able to last the distance (literally)? Have I done enough training? Why am I so slow? I've never run a marathon before, and the most I've run is about 21 miles at a push. I feel a fraud, and not really worthy of running in such a great race. I know so many good runners who would do a much better job than me. I've not trained smart, or well, and I'm not sure if I've done enough. The course is not as flat as I thought it might be, and has hills in all the wrong places (basically anywhere on the course as far as I'm concerned). I'm worried about hitting the wall, what that will be like, whether my legs will last..... Maybe none of this would matter so much if I was a good, talented runner, but I'm not. I'm just a pretty average one. 


Will look forward to seeing him.....
Anyway, before I wallow in any more self pity, I must say that I do feel more positive most of the time. Just as well. In my more positive moments, I am, I hope, a little more realistic. I have done about five long 20 milers in training, so I know I can do that distance. The vast majority of my training has been on my own, and, running round Birmingham, has included plenty of hills, so really I think I've done it the hard way and shouldn't fear what New York has to throw at me. I have felt strong in last my two races, and have no major injuries or pain. 

I guess the fact that I've never run 26.2 miles before, means that this is an unknown quantity. I have no idea what running this distance will be like, how I will react, or if I will have the determination to see me to the end..... I suppose this is what it's all about for me. The ultimate challenge to finish my Challenge Series! I'm just hoping the atmosphere, adrenaline and a lot of prayer will get me through. We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment