Friday 22 March 2013

Snow joke

I'm fed up with this *&?@*#*@*$ weather. Having run in the freezing cold over the past couple of days, and looking forward to a 12+ mile run tomorrow in preparation for the City to City run next weekend, I'm faced with snow all weekend. I'm getting used to running in the cold: I've had to this winter, as it's been cold enough for months for welders to be in constant demand from brass monkeys. But I'm getting really fed up with the snow: it is spring and I really feel that I should be looking at green now. White is all well and good on Christmas Day, but not Easter. It's no joke.

And I really feel I need to do a longer run, as the City to City is 16+ miles, a distance I've not done before. I am really looking forward to it, as it should be a beautiful run in lovely countryside (Ely to Cambridge along the Cam and Ouse), but I'm also feeling nervous, as it is a step up from anything I've run before. So I do want to do a long run over the next few days in order to give me a bit of confidence and to prepare myself for running over this sort of distance. So, if the weather continues as it has been doing this weekend, I'm going to be stuck on the treadmill, something I really don't want to do. And I won't be able to do the sort of distance on the tread' that I want to do; I think I'd either die from boredom, or fall off the thing. So I'm hoping the snow will miraculously disappear in the morning. Fat chance.

So, not a great way to prepare for the latest run in my 2013 Challenge Series. I've also still got a slight niggling knee injury, something which seems to have responded well to some leg work in the gym, but it's still not 100%. So I do want to do a longer run and then rest up for the rest of the week. In other news I've also added a couple of runs to the Challenge, 10k's in Birmingham and Stoke, and I'm hoping that I'll have more staff and volunteers from NYAS join me for these. I've also been reminded that as a charity we have some entries for the New York Marathon in November remaining to be filled. I have said that I would never run a marathon, but I am tempted.......

Anyway, one step at a time! The City to City's 16+ miles is more than enough for me at the moment. This will be my biggest challenge so far, by far. If you want to support me in this, it is a huge encouragement to receive sponsorship... and not only would this encourage me, but help to support an organisation doing some excellent work across the country with children in care and other vulnerable children and adults. I'm just hoping that the weather will have improved by then.... 


No comments:

Post a Comment