Wednesday 27 March 2013

Running cold

Well, having had an enforced break from running for over a week, and facing the longest run I will have ever done on Sunday, I needed to get out and just do it! It really wasn't completely free from snow/ice and was a little slippy in places, but I took it easy, particularly over the first part of the run and didn't take any risks. I have been gymming it over the week, trying to strengthen and build my leg muscles up to ease my knees and it seemed to work as I completed a 13 mile run without too much pain: given I'd hardly done any running recently, I was pleased that I felt I could have done more, albeit at a slow pace. And it was great to be outside again.

This is in preparation for the City to City race on Sunday (part of my 2013 Challenge Series): a route from Ely to Cambridge, which I'm hoping will be beautiful and a great run. I am looking forward to it, but am conscious that this will be a totally new experience for me, running a trail run and across 16.5 miles.  I am a little concerned that I'll find it difficult to run on trails, having been used to roads and pavements: I certainly didn't find the off road bits of the Boundary run easy. I'm hoping that it will be fine, but the organisers say it can be heavy going and windy.......... I'll see. I am hoping that that the weather will have least have improved by then and that any wind is coming from behind, not into me!

One thing after tonight, I am going to invest in some new socks and gloves tomorrow. In the 2 hours I was out running today, my hands were turning blue with the cold and by the time I had finished I could not feel my feet or fingers. I don't think I have ever been as cold. It took a good hour to thaw out and even now, my hands and feet don't feel right. So, yes, hoping for warmer weather on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment