Monday 1 April 2013

2013 Challenge: City to City Race

Sunday, Easter Day, and the day of the biggest challenge for me so far in my 2013 Series, the City to City run! This is a 16.5 mile run from Ely to Cambridge along the rivers Ouse and Cam: most of which is a trail run amongst some beautiful countryside. I was really looking forward to the run, particularly the experience of running in the open, and you cannot really get more open than running in fenland. However, I was also approaching the race with a bit of trepidation due to the distance, the weather (it had been freezing the week before the race) and the terrain!

Ely Cathedral
It was an early start as we met in Cambridge for registration and then bussed to Ely. It was cold and I'd got on 2 or 3 layers for the run, but as the race progressed, it really did warm up (in relative terms), so that by about half way round I was regretting wearing so much. It would be good to get it right sometime! In addition, there was really hardly any wind, which was a real blessing, as particularly the first section which was along a raised dyke, was incredibly exposed and I can imagine it being dire in the rain and wind! However, the sun even came out and it could not have been better weather, which really added to the enjoyment of the race.

As stated, the first part of the race was along a raised dyke, the ground being quite hard and bumpy, not at all like pavements! It was also quite difficult to pass people, so I ended up feeling and hearing the breathing of a queue of people behind me. Quite disconcerting! The second part of the race was down on paths by the river bank, and was a bit softer underfoot, but still uneven. I definitely found this the hardest part of the race, and had to concentrate quite hard on my footing as the paths worn out in the ground were quite narrow and rough. To some extent I therefore missed out on some of the countryside, as I was focussed on the few feet in front of my feet! After about mile 11, the terrain changed to recognised paths as the route entered Cambridge and the finish, and although I was getting even slower by this stage, at least it was easier!

Midsomer Common, Cambridge
Well, I was hoping for a time of 2 1/2 hours. At 6 miles I was at about 55 mins, and at 10 miles I was something like 1:32 at at 13, about 2:03, so I knew I was behind on time. I finished with a time of 2:34:07 (53rd out of 79!!) .......... I think I was a little disappointed with this, but really pleased that I'd completed the 16 miles, the furthest I have ever run, feeling as though I could run a little further (at a snails pace!). I think my time was a reflection of several things: a lack of proper preparation leading up to the race, due to the snow and cold in Birmingham. I did not run consistently at all throughout March, frustrated by the snow fall and niggling injury, perhaps once or twice a week at the most. I therefore took the (probably unwise) decision to run 13 miles on the Wednesday before the race: whilst this was a great confidence boost, I think running such a distance in the week running up to the race may not have left me as fresh as I could have been. I also did find the trail run more difficult and probably draining than road running, so that may well also have had an effect.

So, overall a really good run: in the main the race was really well organised and in lovely countryside. Good also to experience a trail route and I completed the longest run I've ever done! Learning from the weekend? To prepare well for races and not to put jelly babies in my pocket without some form of wrapping!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment