Sunday 19 May 2013

Achievement

Having run a 10k and half marathon over the previous two weekends, I was pleased to be having a break from racing, which meant I was therefore able to stay at home. On Saturday I decided to simply enjoy running, so I went to run with my club (Kings Heath Running Club) and took it relatively easy, as there was no great need to push myself in terms of times or distance. So I did a really enjoyable run with the club, 5 miles, with a club member who I'd run with before a few times: I was nice just to be able to run at a pace where I could join in with a bit of a chat, something I don't often do (mainly because I wheeze like a geezer when I run). Anyway it was great to be reminded that running can be a sociable event, not just an individual activity. Then, this morning I had a nice run in the sun, again at a fairly gentle pace. It was good to be out and about in lovely weather, and to just enjoy running for running's sake!

One of the things I was able to do whilst running this morning, was to ruminate on my Challenge Series, and where I've got to so far. I've now completed 7 out of the 11 races I've planned, and run some 325 miles since January (training and races); I've reached my time targets for both 5k and half marathon, but I think am still some way off getting under 50 minutes for 10k and only have 2 more 10k races to reach this. I've also raised £230 for NYAS, way below my target, but at least I've managed to get a donation out of my son!

Finishing at Sheffield

Now I realise that these achievements (apart from getting my son to donate) pale into insignificance in comparison to the achievements of other runners and certainly other fundraisers! I know of others who are running marathons, or a series of marathons and even ultras, and certainly my time targets are nothing to write home about. But one thing l have been learning over the past few months is that what challenges me will not be a challenge for others, its a relative thing depending on talent, age, and training. What I'm attempting would in no way be challenging for a lot of club runners (particularly the times), but it would be very challenging for most beginners! Likewise, achievement is also relative: it's been great to see a couple of runners from my club celebrate their first 10k or running 2 miles without walking: real achievements for them (and rightly celebrated by other KHRC runners!). Another friend gained a pb for a 5k and also ran a half marathon this weekend with a broken toe! Whatever the  achievement, the common thread is that it will have taken commitment, guts and not a little will power to get there.

I was also struck with a chat I had with another running club member this weekend who mentioned she'd been in Care and, unlike many, had had a positive Care experience. She'd obviously achieved a great deal in her life and I was reminded that many children in Care achieve because of being in Care, but that also many children in Care achieve in spite of being in Care. Whether its because of multiple placement moves, problems emanating from the time before they were placed in Care, moving schools, bullying, lack of contact with family and friends, lack of consistent adults in their lives, or lack of support when transitioning into adulthood, sometimes the system serves to hinder not help them. NYAS, the charity I am raising money for, help children in Care when things aren't going right, and help them to get their views heard when professionals are deciding about their future. NYAS' Annual Report gives more detail about this and about the tremendous impact the charity makes on the lives of these and other vulnerable children and adults. Through my running this year, I am aiming to raise money for NYAS, so if you would like to make a donation to support this work, please visit my BT Donate page. My next two races are in June, the Woodhall Spa 10k and the St Albans Half Marathon: any and every donation is greatly valued! 



No comments:

Post a Comment