Friday 2 November 2012

Winter.. and giving in...

Well it feels like the Brum Half was a long time ago... and it also feels like its full on Winter weather, with temperatures getting colder and the nights drawing in. I really don't feel like running in weather like this, so I've done the only thing I could.... joined a running club!

Running in Winter

In fact, I'd thought about doing this for some time, as I think I need other people's advice and experience, and just as importantly, their support!! I really don't think I'd go out running at night in the winter if it was just down to me. But, knowing there are other people (mugs) going running on cold dark nights will be a spur to get me off my backside..... It's also been good joining the club's facebook page, as people are really encouraging.

So, I've given in. I've joined King Heath Running Club, as it's local, seems very friendly, and is keen to encourage runners of all standards, even ones like me, which is great! So last night was my first run with them, on a very cold night... There were 3 firsts for me.. One, running with a group of people, which was fine; two, running at night, which I also found surprisingly fine; and three, doing hill reps, which was NOT fine! Well, actually it was ok, and good for me to do. And I think that is one of the good things about being part of a club.... doing different things and meeting different people, and being able to chose training  exercises which will improve my running, I hope! The other group on the night did a run aiming at a 9 min per mile pace..... although it was tempting, I don't think I'm there yet!

So I'm hoping that joining KHRC will help me keep going through the winter. I know that if I don't keep up the running, it will really affect my fitness and weight levels, which I am aiming to keep up (the fitness levels, the weight levels can come down please)! I'm hoping to do Park Run tomorrow, which will be the first time in ages.... I'll be interested to see how I do.....

No comments:

Post a Comment