Friday 7 September 2012

Geese and The Birmingham Half

I'm running the Birmingham Half. Not sure this has sunk in yet, but I thought I'd write to say why I'm running it.

First off, I want to see if I can do this. It is a huge challenge for me... approximately 6 months ago I ran 10k, and that was a challenge, so this is on a different scale... depending on how I do (in other words, if I finish - I'm not going to be concerned about my time), I may look at doing more in the future... but that's another story.

Secondly, I wanted to do something to support an incredible theatre company, Geese. I've been proud to be a (small) part of Geese for several years, but I have often thought my contribution has been pitiful and have been frustrated with myself for not giving more. So this is an opportunity to give something to the company, which I hope will be an encouragement and support. They are a hugely committed and inspiring group of people, who give sacrificially in so many ways... this is the least I could do.

Geese is an internationally renowned theatre company (winning a BAFTA in 1998), working in prisons and probation centres, with some of the most vulnerable people around. They produce excellent theatre, but more importantly uses this to challenge attitudes and values and thinking, so that the people they work with will lead constructive live in the future. I believe in the work they do and have been struck by how many people (as I go around the country) have heard of and seen Geese in action..... without exception, their response has been positive and an affirmation that when seen, Geese has had an impact.

OK, I'm a fan. But I'm also doing this, because like many arts organisations across the country, Geese has been hit by the financial climate and cuts in funding. I'm looking to raise money for them to support their work. Geese is a registered charity and relies on funding from all sorts of areas. Have a look at their web site (www.geese.co.uk) and then go to my fundraising site (http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserPage.action?userUrl=ChrisCrocker&faId=248322&isTeam=false) and make a donation.. please!

No comments:

Post a Comment