Wednesday 5 September 2012

Sore nips and other things

I am concerned that in running this half marathon, I am going to do serious damage to my nips... I've already experienced the blood and pain a couple of times when doing longer (for me) runs, and although preventative measures (Vaseline, plasters) help, over longer distances they seem to fall off (the plasters I mean), leaving me vulnerable... and its not just the nips, but my chest in general which suffers. Maybe some support for my generous Moobs might help............... apologies, probably too much information.

I was encouraged that Andy Holgate has suffered the same fate. Reading his book has surprisingly moved me, particularly as he talks about his first Ironman and the support of his friends and family, and I was also moved at his obvious joy at finishing his first Ironman race. An incredible achievement and I sensed his pride at overcoming his challenge..... However, although in general the book, his talent, skill and dedication is so far removed from my own running experience, it was good to find out I had something in common with him... he suffered from sore nipples. I was also encouraged to find out that he was at one stage the same weight as me (just under 16 stone now), although this was tempered by the fact that he deemed this to be at a time when he was letting himself go and in pretty bad shape, whereas I don't think I've been as fit as I am for a long time!

However, back to running.. I did a reasonable run tonight, didn't go as far as I was hoping and found the just under 6 miles hard going, but I did run/amble up Cartland Road in order to try to prepare me for the "hill" in the Brum half. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could do it, without stopping, which was pleasing as going up this slope on my bike demands the full range of gears! I also found that I had a bit left over for the rest of the run. Just need to up the distances and do more of them climbs.

Running tonight also left me questioning my style... I generally run fairly upright, I hardly move my legs, and my feet land quite hard on the ground. This is quite jarring.... but when I go up hill, or when I try to run faster, my style seems to improve.. or at least running feels easier, and I get into a longer stride. I also attempted to run almost crouching... I don't know if this is good or not, but again it felt a bit easier. Probably need to talk to someone who knows what they're doing, as it might help!

Someone posted that it was only 6 weeks to the Brum half. Um. Thanks for the encouragement from yesterday's post!


No comments:

Post a Comment