Saturday 8 September 2012

Wise Words

"As I sit here reflecting on my 2hrs 45mins of agony I wonder whether I should join the bird watchers on the banks of the lake alternately watching lesser spotted mangle warblers and daft fat gits in lycra (who ought to know better) and contemplate how big a pair of binoculars I could get if I traded in my bike. Then the reality sets in. Some people – the ultra thin racing ones – finished that race in a shade over two hours. I kept going for nearly forty five minutes longer than them and I’m carrying nearly twice the weight. Pound for pound I reckon I was the fittest bloke there." 
Tim Pepper 

The most encouraging words from a triathlete I have read in a long time. Those words have revolutionised the way I think about my efforts... Well, that might be putting it a bit strongly, but instead of thinking I'm unfit and slow and fat, at least I can have a different perspective! I am probably twice the weight of most people who run, or at least 4 or 5 stone heavier than most... and I will have to keep going longer running than most in order to lug my weight around, just to finish..... so, yes, I must be fitter than them! Simples!

In fact I came across these words by chance.... Tim is an (very) old school friend, who was good at all sports, but excelled in Ice Dancing and Water Polo (he is mad). He also ran a marathon when we were at school ... I haven't been in touch with him for thirty years or so, but for various (long winded) reasons, which I won't go into now, I decided to look him up... googling him revealed that he is now a triathlete who has represented GB as a "veteran"... I'm not surprised, he was always very talented. I am looking forward to catching up with him and to telling him how much he has encouraged me!

This week I got an email from the "Great Birmingham Run" organisers, wishing me well and hoping that my training was going to plan...... PLAN??? What plan? I realised that I've gone into this without really thinking about a plan, although I sort of have one in my head, but it made me think that actually, I could have and should have been smarter about this training. Hey ho. Well this weekend, I'm planning on running 10 miles, with a couple of long climbs in the route. I think this will give me some idea about where I'm at. 

Did Park Run this morning: was up last night (having had a curry Friday night) with sweats and dodgy tummy and this morning I felt a little weak, so almost didn't go... however, mainly due to the fact that it was a glorious morning, made my way there, and thought I'd take it easy, which I did for the first lap or so, and I really enjoyed just running in the sun... But then my competitive streak took over and I began to try harder. Felt ok, but in the end ran out of steam: my normal "give it my all" at the end of the race sort of fizzled out, but I generally enjoyed it and my right knee (which I thought was giving me some jip earlier in the week) felt ok. Now waiting for the results, but I recon I did it in about 26:40... so not too bad for me. Only 6 weeks to go to the Birmingham Half.. help!


No comments:

Post a Comment