Thursday 2 August 2012

'Cos blogging is easier than jogging

Port de Pollenca. The jogger's view. Not bad.
Just returned from a few days in Majorca, and during this time, thought I should really put some thoughts down about running, or in my case, jogging very slowly. I have only started running over the past few months, having never done well at this at school or at any other time for that matter (I'm now 49)... however, the need for a challenge and to get fit, lose weight has prompted me to start late on in life... not sure I enjoy it yet, but I do appreciate the benefits..


Well I'm hoping that I'll be able to share some thoughts about my struggles with running. I am not fast. I am not fit. I cannot run huge distances. I am fat, but even now I feel fitter and am lighter than I have been for years. I hope that I will be entertaining.. we will see.


Anyway running in Majorca..... had to be done early on in the day as it was so HOT. The views were stunning, particularly in the morning light. I managed to do 4 or so miles every other day at my normal (snail's) pace. Memories? ...Dripping buckets after finishing... being ch(j)eered by some early morning revelers, overtaking someone - you have to understand this is a rare occurrence for me - only to be overtaken by them a few hundred meters later, my steady clump echoing around early morning Port de Pollenca and almost breaking my ankle on the rough pavement. And there was also this incredibly annoying runner who I saw most mornings... a very elegant young woman, who managed to "trot" past me as though she were a horse doing the dressage, pony tail flapping, not a bead of sweat showing, and hardly breathing at all. As I said, very annoying.


I'm not sure that the title of my post is true. 

No comments:

Post a Comment