Sunday 5 August 2012

Perspective

I had a good day yesterday. The previous day I'd tried an experimental mile run, and did it in 8.05 mins........ not impressed. However, yesterday, I ran in my first Park Run at Cannon Hill Park (http://www.parkrun.org.uk/cannon-hill/).. a beginner friendly 5k timed run. I've only ever once run before with others, so it was a novel experience..... there were obviously a lot of experienced runners, but also a few like me..... I went to the back of the starting line up and stayed there for the rest of the race. It was a good day for running and I surprisingly enjoyed running with others.... I found it harder than I expected, but I think this was a reflection that I was running harder than I thought. I ended up on the ground in a sweaty heap, but with a time of 26.45, some 4/5 minutes better than I was aiming for... so I was v pleased with myself. Really enjoy running round Cannon Hill, and actually overtook a couple of people at the end, so chuffed! Didn't enjoy the comment of one woman whom I overheard talking to a friend... "I much prefer running 18 miles"......


Anyway, my performance was put into perspective when I saw the women's 10000m Olympic race... finished in a time only just over my time for the 5k. Um. And then I found out my daughter's boyfriend had just run a different park run the same day and did it in just over 18 mins. Um. Obviously still a way to go........ 

No comments:

Post a Comment