Tuesday 14 August 2012

Planning would be a good idea...

First time I've done this, just gone for a run without really thinking how far it was going to be... wanted to do a fairly long run (for me, that is), so decided to run from home into Birmingham city centre via the canals, and back. Have done part of this run before, so thought that it would be manageable.

Started off slowly and stayed at that pace. Was a really lovely day and enjoyed running along the canals.. there really are some beautiful, peaceful places along the canals from Kings Norton and Bournville into the city. Was really only seeing if I could do this, so was not so bothered about the pace. 

On the way in, felt that I was struggling, more like jogging than running, but coming back was much harder... felt I was REALLY struggling, like I was jogging/shuffling. However, I was pleased that even at that pace, I was able to overtake some canal barges (for me to overtake anything is an achievement!)... so not all bad! Anyway, just managed to run as far as Bournville station by the canal and had to stop... which was fine as this was by far my longest run (approx 12.8 miles) I've done, but I was some 4 miles from home, so ended up walking back. As I said, would have been good to plan it a bit more!!

Other thoughts? Something really strange happening with my eyes running past the university over the A38: weird sensation looking ahead, with the very still canal on one side and the traffic from the A38 on the other side going underneath the canal. Felt very odd. Similarly going through a long tunnel near town with very dim lighting, feeling the ground moving!! Strange. Also, having done this, I think I possibly could do a 1/2 marathon.. did this run in 2 and 1/2 hours, so not at all quick, but still feel its do-able, and although it was slow, and hard, for most of the run I felt fairly strong... so some hope yet. Oh yes.... sore nipples... need to see how I can overcome this issue!

No comments:

Post a Comment